Stearns Kim & Stearns is renowned throughout Los Angeles for its representation of clients in Family Law matters. The firm has been fortunate to represent a number of high profile individuals and executives, but prides itself on being available to anyone in need of assistance.
The Family Law Department at SKS is headed by the firm’s managing partner, Ryan E. Stearns, who is a Certified Specialist in Family Law by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, and has handled well in excess of 1,000 contested cases in his 26 years of practice through trial, hearings, and settlement conferences. Mr. Stearns is also a past member of the Family Law Executive Committee for the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
SKS’s Family Law Department is open to all clients who need assistance. SKS’s Family Law clients are a broad range: high profile individuals, Fortune 500 company executives, police officers, civil servants, single fathers, and homemakers.
SKS’s experience in Family Law extends into all areas—spousal and child support, child custody and visitation, property division, and attorney’s fees. If you need assistance of any kind, please contact us, as advising and assisting individuals in need is what we do.
Our Recent and Past Accomplishments in Family Law
- Prevent parent from moving out of state with child.
- Succeed in terminating spousal support from a long-term marriage–$26,000 per month to zero.
- Successfully defend claim of parental alienation, with court ordering accuser to pay client’s attorney’s fees and costs.
- Establish that business claimed to be separate property by spouse was community property, resulting in $2 million award to client.
- Successfully defend judgment from being set aside on claim of fraud and duress following & day trial with client retaining approximately $35 million in assets awarded under judgment.
- Custody of children awarded to father against mother who disparaged father in children’s presence.
- $115,000 in professional fees awarded to homemaker spouse for trial preparation, over objection from other spouse that no fees should be paid.
- Judgment for client wife that husband solely liable for $200,000 in alleged loans from parents, the trial court finding husband committed fraud in connection with the same and breached fiduciary duty.
The firm handles both complex and simple Family Law matters involving issues such as:
- Legal separation
- Child support
- Child custody
- Visitation rights
- Minor’s counsel cases
- Termination of parental rights
- Restraining orders
- Property division
- Business valuations
- Spousal support and partner support
- Determining income available for support
- Modification of support
- Name changes
- Pre-nuptial agreements
- Post-nuptial agreements
- Cohabitation agreements
A divorce, separation or other Family Law matter can be one of the most emotional and difficult experiences through which an individual can go. Our firm has over 26 years of experience in working with its clients on how to deal, accept, and resolve these matters. The firm has a deep network of mental health and other professionals with whom it works to assist clients in coping with their Family Law matter.
Stearns Kim & Stearns believes that most Family Law cases should settle, and, for that reason, searches for solutions with its clients at the beginning of his or her case, with the objective being to resolve the case as soon as possible. However, if it becomes apparent that settlement is not possible, at least upfront, the firm’s lawyers are qualified, trained, and prepared to litigate for you, and have no hesitation doing so.
Our Expertise & Technology
The lawyers of the firm are renowned by most judges sitting in Los Angeles County Family Law courts and are known to cause opposing attorneys a great deal of unease and discomfort. The reason for this is because the lawyers of Stearns Kim & Stearns are educated on the up to date developments in Family Law, receive specialized training on trial techniques for Family Law cases, and have available and utilize the most recent technology so that they can present your case in the most persuasive manner.